IFC Fraternity Recruitment
Formal Recruitment versus Open Bidding
IFC at the University of Mississippi has two processes by which potential new members (PNMs) can become affiliated with an IFC chapter: IFC fraternity Formal Recruitment and Open Bidding. Formal Recruitment is the annual process by which most IFC PNMs join IFC chapters during the Fall semester; it allows each PNM the opportunity to visit each of our 15 IFC chapters and participate in a partial mutual selection process facilitated by Fraternity & Sorority Life. Open Bidding takes place during two predetermined periods throughout the academic year: immediately following IFC fraternity Formal Recruitment period and immediately following the start of Spring semester. Open bidding is a more independent process by which PNMs solicit membership in an IFC fraternity.
IFC Fraternity Formal Recruitment 2019
Check back soon for 2019 IFC Formal Recruitment dates!
Note: the GPA requirement for Formal Recruitment 2018 will be a 2.7.
2019 IFC Fraternity Formal Recruitment To-Do List:
- Be sure you meet the GPA requirement – 2.7
- Register for IFC fraternity Formal Recruitment
- Update transcripts with University
- Complete the Campus Clarity requirement
- Attend Convocation (Date: TBA)*
- Attend Round Zero (Date: TBA)*
- Attend Educational Programming required by Fraternal Leadership & Learning
*More information will be sent to registrants via their Ole Miss email address. Potential New Members must attend educational programs in addition to fulfilling the University’s Campus Clarity requirement. IFC Formal Recruitment registrants will receive an email to their go.olemiss.edu address details about RSVPing for these programs.
Formal Recruitment Registration Deadline
The deadline to register for IFC Fraternity Formal Recruitment is September 10, 2018 at 11:59pm CST.
Event Schedule & What to Wear
- Located on the 3rd floor of the Student Union in the Student Union Ballroom
- What to Expect: You’ll participate in an involvement fair style event to make introductions to all 14 IFC fraternities.
- What to Wear: Casual wear (shorts and a t-shirt)
- Hosted at the Ford Center
- What to Expect: You’ll learn about fraternity life and consider the value of fraternity membership.
- What to Wear: Collared shirt, khaki shorts and loafers
- Number of Chapters Visited: All fourteen fraternities
- What to Expect: You’ll have an introduction to fraternity life, which includes learning of the benefits of membership along with financial, academic, and housing obligations for each respective fraternity.
- What to wear: Collared shirt, khaki shorts, loafers
- Number Visited: Up to six fraternities
- What to Expect: You’ll learn about each chapter’s philanthropy, community service, and campus involvement.
- What to Wear: Button-down, slacks, and dress shoes
- Number Visited: Up to three fraternities
- What to Expect: These events will provide an insight into the fraternities’ brotherhoods. This includes spending time with chapter members to gain a greater perspective on how each fraternity celebrates its brotherhood.
- What to Wear: Jacket, tie, slacks, and dress shoes
- What to Expect: Membership bids will be delivered to residence hall rooms or will be available for pickup at the Inn at Ole Miss for off–campus residents.
- What to Wear: Bid cards will have attire information.
At the University of Mississippi, first-year students must complete the Campus Clarity Think About It (freshmen) or Adult Learner (transfer students) course. Students participating in formal recruitment must complete their respective course by August 26, 2019, the deadline established by the Office of Health Promotion. Students who do not complete their respective course before Round One of IFC Fraternity Formal Recruitment may not participate in Formal Recruitment. To learn more about the Campus Clarity programs, including how to receive access to the course or timing of each part, visit the Office of Health Promotion.
2019 GPA Requirement
As agreed upon by all IFC fraternities through the IFC Bylaws, Potential New Members must have a 2.70/4.00 cumulative GPA to participate in IFC Fraternity Formal Recruitment, receive a membership invitation any time during the year, and be initiated into an IFC fraternity. Please note, dual enrollment hours (collegiate credit hours taken during high school) will not count as collegiate credit hours for the purposes of recruitment eligibility.
Students that do not have the required 2.7 high school GPA or 2.7 collegiate GPA (if they have taken 12 or more collegiate credit hours following their high school graduation) have the opportunity to appeal to the IFC Judicial Board to participate in IFC Fraternity Formal Recruitment. Please note, though, that simply because the IFC Judicial Board grants an appeal to a Potential New Member does not guarantee that any IFC fraternity will offer a bid for membership.
For those students who do not meet the minimum GPA requirement, please first register for IFC Fraternity Formal Recruitment and then find the the appeal form in the IFC Fraternity Formal Recruitment Registration Confirmation email. Please note, there are no refunds for those who are not granted an appeal.
Students should submit their final high school or college transcripts after graduation or course completion to the University of Mississippi. PNMs who complete 12 or more college credits after their high school graduation are considered a college student; therefore, their overall college GPA is used in Formal Recruitment. The grades used for Formal Recruitment are verified by the transcripts on file with the University of Mississippi. Academic transcripts must reflect a cumulative GPA on a 4.00 scale. Please make sure the cumulative GPA on a 4.00 scale is listed on the transcript before it is mailed to the university. Mail transcripts to: Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677–1848. Final transcripts must be updated by September 13, 2019.
About IFC Open Bidding
IFC open bidding is when fraternities extend membership invitations outside the formal recruitment process. Open bidding begins the day after Bid Day for two weeks, then opens again the first day of classes in the spring semester for one month. Time frames are subject to change based on academic calendar and formal recruitment dates. Potential new members should communicate with the rush chairs of fraternities they are interested in to learn more about each chapter’s open bidding process. Note, not every fraternity will conduct open bidding.
IFC Open Bidding Requirements
Students participating in Open Bidding must not have accepted a membership invitation from an IFC fraternity within the last year. Students must have a 2.70/4.00 cumulative GPA to receive a membership invitation through Open Bidding and must maintain the 2.70 cumulative GPA to be initiated into a fraternity. Students wishing to participate in Open Bidding must also appeal to the IFC Judicial Board. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to do so.