IFC Formal Recruitment
About IFC Formal Recruitment
Formal recruitment is the primary way Potential New Members (PNMs) join our community. Coordinated by the IFC Recruitment Team each Fall semester, the week long structured process consists of a series of events called Rounds. PNMs start off visiting each chapter and as the week continues will participate in a mutual selection process to narrow down their options. By last round PNMs have the opportunity to receive a bid from up to four chapters.
2020 Formal Recruitment Dates: August 29-September 6
The Interfraternity Council is closely monitoring the situation with COVID-19 and is working with Fraternity & Sorority Life to prepare for a Formal Recruitment process that is inline with State, Local and Univeristy guidelines. The health and safety of our prospective members and chapter members is at the forefront of the Interfraternity Council’s mission. Click here for the most up to date and accurate information for how IFC plans to adapt to the current situation.
2020 IFC Fraternity Formal Recruitment To-Do List:
- Follow @UnivMissIFC on Twitter, Facebook & Instagram
- Review the 2019 PNM Code of Conduct (Expectations) and be sure you meet the GPA requirement – 2.8
- Register for IFC fraternity Formal Recruitment (Registration opens May 1st!)
- Update transcripts with the University of Mississippi Registrar & Admissions
- Check out the 2020 IFC Recruitment Guide
- Attend and complete all Educational Programming required by Fraternity & Sorority Life
*More information will be sent to registrants via their Ole Miss email address. IFC Formal Recruitment registrants will receive an email to their go.olemiss.edu address details about how to complete these programs.
Formal Recruitment Registration:
Formal Recruitment Registration is now closed. If you missed the registration deadline we encourage you to check out information on Open Bidding.
Formal Recruitment Registration opened on May 1, 2020 at 8am CST. You’ll need your Ole Miss webID and password, emergency contact information, a resume, picture, payment, and any legacy information (if applicable) for the registration form.
Deadline: Students have to be registered and have paid the registration fee before August 25, 2020 at 11:59pm.
Please note: Registration takes about 15-20 minutes to complete. You must complete the registration process and pay the fee before the deadline, as the registration form times out exactly at 11:59 p.m. CST.
2020 Registration Fees
- $150 (May 1 – 20, 2020)
- $175 (June 1 – June 30, 2020)
- $200 (July 1 – August 25, 2020)
Students must be registered and have paid the registration fee before the deadline to participate in Formal Recruitment. *This fee is not refundable.
2020 IFC Recruitment Guide
Click here to access the 2020 Formal Recruitment Guide. This mobile friendly resource has the resources you need for a successful Formal Recruitment.
Event Schedule & What to Wear
(Potential New Members are encouraged to use their Rho Alpha as a resource for any questions)
*The planning for recruitment is fluid based on the guidance and situation with COVID-19. As a result, the recruitment logistics and schedule are subject to change. Potential New Members are encouraged to regularly check their Ole Miss email address for direct communication from IFC and the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life regarding Formal Recruitment.
*The below schedule was updated 8/20/2020*
- Virtual (Blackboard)
- This year’s convocation will take the form of a virtual orientation video on Blackboard
IFC PNM Education:
- To be completed on Blackboard
- What to Expect: You’ll gain a baseline of knowledge important to fraternity membership on several topics
- After you’ve registered for Recruitment you’ll be able to log into Blackboard to begin completing all educational modules
- August 29, 2020
- In order to reduce contact and promote social distancing this year Round 1 will be delivered virtually. Registrants will receive more information via their Ole Miss email address
- Number of Chapters Visited: All fifteen fraternities
- What to Expect: You’ll have an introduction to fraternity life, which includes learning of the benefits of membership along with financial, academic, and housing obligations for each respective fraternity
- What to wear: 2020 Recruitment T-Shirt
- August 30, 2020
- In order to reduce contact and promote social distancing this year Round 2 will be delivered virtually. Registrants will receive more information via their Ole Miss email address
- Number Visited: Up to ten fraternities
- What to Expect: You’ll learn about each chapter’s philanthropy, community service, and campus involvement
- What to Wear: Button-down, slacks, and dress shoes
- September 2-4, 2020
- Number Visited: Up to six fraternities
- In order to reduce contact and promote social distancing this year Round 3 will be delivered virtually. Registrants will receive more information via their Ole Miss email address
- What to Expect: This round will be longer than the first two and allow you to spend more time in conversation with members from each chapter
- What to Wear: Jacket, tie, slacks, and dress shoes
- September 5, 2020
- Number Visited: Up to three fraternities
- In order to reduce contact and promote social distancing this year Round 4 will be delivered virtually. Registrants will receive more information via their Ole Miss email address
- What to Expect: These events will provide an insight into the fraternities’ brotherhoods. This includes spending time with chapter members to gain a greater perspective on how each fraternity celebrates its brotherhood
- What to Wear: Jacket, tie, slacks, and dress shoes
- September 6, 2020
- You will receive start time instructions in your bid email
- What to Expect: Membership bids will be delivered via your Ole Miss email
- What to Wear: Each chapter’s bid cards will have attire information
2020 GPA Requirement
As agreed upon by all IFC fraternities through the IFC Bylaws, Potential New Members must have a 2.80/4.00 cumulative GPA to participate in IFC Fraternity Formal Recruitment, receive a membership invitation any time during the year, and be initiated into an IFC fraternity. Please note, dual enrollment hours (collegiate credit hours taken during high school) will not count as collegiate credit hours for the purposes of recruitment eligibility.
Students that do not have the required 2.8 high school GPA or 2.8 collegiate GPA (if they have taken 12 or more collegiate credit hours following their high school graduation) have the opportunity to appeal to the IFC Judicial Board to participate in IFC Fraternity Formal Recruitment. Due to the Fraternity & Sorority Life’s academic policies the IFC Judicial Board is unlikely to grant appeals for a GPA under a 2.60. Please note, though, that simply because the IFC Judicial Board grants an appeal to a Potential New Member does not guarantee that an IFC fraternity will offer a bid for membership.
For those students who do not meet the minimum GPA requirement, please first register for IFC Fraternity Formal Recruitment and then find the the appeal form in the IFC Fraternity Formal Recruitment Registration Confirmation email. Please note, there are no refunds for those who are not granted an appeal.
All appeals are due by August 26, 2020 at 5:00pm CST.
PNM Code of Conduct
In addition to the GPA requirement listed below all Potential New Members must agree to the PNM Code of Conduct and are expected to adhere to it. Potential New Members will agree to the PNM Code of Conduct as part of the registration process. All Potential New Members are highly encouraged to thoroughly review the Code of Conduct as any violation of the Code by a Potential New Member could result in immediate removal from the recruitment process.
Recommendation letters are not required to go through recruitment. They are, however, helpful in the recruitment process. You may send more than one letter of recommendation if you wish. DO NOT include transcripts or test scores with your recommendation letters. Fraternities will receive your overall GPA before Formal Recruitment begins; therefore, transcripts are not necessary.
To learn more about recommendation letters, please visit the IFC FAQs page.
Students should submit their final high school or college transcripts after graduation or course completion. Grades are verified by the transcripts on file with the University of Mississippi. The cumulative GPA on the transcript is the one used for Formal Recruitment.
Students should make sure their academic transcripts reflect a cumulative GPA on a 4.00 scale. Because your high school or college understands your courses and credits best, Fraternity & Sorority Life and the university do not calculate a cumulative GPA. Please make sure the cumulative GPA on a 4.00 scale is listed on the transcript before it is mailed to the university.
Update and mail final transcripts ASAP to:
Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677-1848.
Formal Recruitment Resources
The below forms will be available 1 month prior to the start of the 2020 Formal Recruitment Process.
Absentee Form– Use this form if you will need to be absent from any Formal Recruitment events. All absences MUST be reported prior to the event. Absence’s are subject to approval based on relevance. The recruitment team will do their best to accommodate all relevant absences but cannot guarantee anything.
Withdrawal Form- We encourage all participants to keep an open mind throughout the recruitment process. If participants decide they would like to withdrawal from the process they must fill out this form. Participants who choose to withdrawal are reminded that the recruitment fee is non-refundable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Other Opportunities to Join
Click here to learn more about other opportunities to join an IFC Chapter including how to join new chapters that will be expanding to the University of Mississippi in Fall 2020